Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Bystander Behavior

   Thinking about it to write the blog, makes it difficult to think of a time when I was a bystander that really stuck out to me.  But I know that I am a bystander everyday, maybe not always big things, but little things that may have not impacted me as much as other things.
   The time that I can think of that I have been a bystander was probably when I saw a guy stealing at Franchescas. I just remember being so confused and not really understanding.  I had always heard about stealing, but it was just kind of an eye opener that people actually do this.  This was the weirdest thing, because for the first time I felt violated almost.  The guy had done nothing to me, had no way of knowing who I was; I just felt vulerable.  I felt guilty as if every one saw me watch him take stuff.  It's easy not to say anything.  Maybe he would have denied it, or maybe somebody wouldn't believe me.  Then I felt afraid to say something to the guy, in fear he would do something to me, or blame something on me.
   It is so easy not to step up and say anything.  Maybe college students think they shouldn't say anything because someone might be angry, or maybe because they think they know that someone is going to do it anyways.  Maybe they feel like it's none of their business and they shouldn't say anything because it is not directly affecthing them.
   This brings me back to the situation, and I really wish as if I should have stepped in.  It would have been a bummer for him to get caught there, but it would have maybe prevented him from stealing from somewhere else, and him being in bigger trouble.  Or maybe I could have helped another bystander from feeling so awkward.  Moral of the story, don't steal.

No comments:

Post a Comment