Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Leader in the Field

   With in the past couple of weeks I have changed my mind, trying to decide what I would like to do with my life.  Do I want to be a physicians assistant, do I want to try and shoot for med school, or do I want to do something I've always wanted to do and become a physical therapist.  Recently after knowing the right people, I was lucky enough to interview Physical Therapist and Clinical Director, Corey Long with a few of his employees.

   With in the first few minutes I noticed how upbeat and enthusiastic the whole place was.  When asking Corey what his job entails, he included "making everyday a fun enjoyable atmosphere, half of the patient receiving full treatment, is to enjoy where they are getting it from."  This response already had leadership written all over it, because as clinical director, Corey received permission from all of his employees and patients.  This attitude alone, has allowed Corey and other clinical directors to open new practices all around the metroplex. 

   Talking to other physical therapist I asked how leadership was vital to their everday.  Responses varied from leading eachother in keeping up with new practices, or leading their patients to understanding exercises that will increase mobility even though it is not strengthening the injured area.  Leadership is extremely important in physical therapy.  When I injured my back, I knew that my physical therapist would help me, however I was not ready to follow.  Whenever I realized that his best interest was to help me get better, I allowed him to lead me.  Even when I wasn't working on exercises that strenghthened my back, I was working with muscles that would help to not use my back as much.  I continued to follow my physical therapist when we created more of a bond.  I was spending two hours three days a week at this place, hopefully and eventually I would like attending these strengthening courses.  

   Click Here to find more about Physical Therapy and what an everyday job might entail.

No comments:

Post a Comment